How to indent just the second lines of citations in Microsoft Word/Word for Mac/Word in Office 365?
Microsoft Word, Word for Mac, and Word in Office 365 have a preset in their line spacing menu to create what is called a “hanging indent,” which only indents the second line of text in a citation.
To do this:
- Highlight the citations.
- In the home tab/menu, find the paragraph section
- Click on or click the arrow in the bottom right of the paragraph section to open the whole paragraph menu
- If you click , then click on “Line Spacing Options” in the drop down that opens
- In the indentation section of the paragraph menu, click on the drop down below “Special”
- Select “Hanging”
- Click OK at the bottom of the paragraph menu
This should indent only the second line of your citations. If something doesn’t look right click undo and make sure there isn’t extra spacing before any of your lines.
If you need further help, contact a librarian.